Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Come-Ons

TGB recently had an opportunity to exchange emails with one of the hardest working bands in Detroit, MI. Please enjoy the conversation with Deanne Iovan of The Come Ons.

Tell me about It Came From Detroit. How did your band become involved in this project?

James Petix, the creator of It Came From Detroit, has been a big fan of local music for years. I'm sure we met at a show, although I can't remember specifically where. He taped and edited The ComeOns only music video. He's filmed probably hundreds of live performances from Detroit bands. I have a bit of trouble speaking to a camera, so my involvement will hopefully be limited. But he's interviewed a lot of people for his documentary and he's put a lot of time into the process and what I've seen so far looks great. I don't know how much interest the rest of the world has in the Detroit music scene.

From Motown to MC5 to Iggy Pop to Mitch Ryder to the White Stripes, Detroit has a rich musical legacy. If you were writing the chapter on the current scene, what would be included? How would you describe what is happening in Detroit today?

The current scene is a bit fragmented. If I was writing a chapter about today, I would want to talk about the White Stripes. I saw their show a few weeks ago and I thought it was great - as good as any I've seen from them. They continue to inspire musicians everywhere. The Dirtbombs write great songs and play exciting shows. They just played a Baht Mitzvah, which is a pretty funny thing. You know, I guess I would write about anyone here that was working hard and loving what they do.

On your four song vinyl disc, you covered Donna Summer's "I Feel Love." Describe how that came about. Is there a closet disco diva hiding inside your body?

The Donna Summer cover came about when our friend, Chris Sutton, was in town last year. He's played guitar for us on and off. He played with us in Spain, recorded the "Higher" 12" with us. We were just sitting around listening to records and Chris suggested it. I really like the bassline and singing was a stretch for me, a challenge. So, I'm not a closet disco diva. The band has always played dance music and disco does fall into that category. I'm not glamorous enough to be a diva.

What's the scoop on your new material. Title? How is/has your sound evolving/evolved? Where are you in the recording process?

We just finished mixing the new record with Jim Kissling at the Tempermill. No title yet. We're still arm wrestling over that. The material is a bit broader than past recordings. Still, some dance songs and love songs like "Hipcheck." All originals this time.

You've done several tribute songs. Are there any bands you've longed to pay tribute to on disc that you haven't yet? What song(s), in particular, would you record?

We did a cover of Velvet Underground's "Who Loves The Sun" for a German b-side. That was one that Patrick always wanted us to cover. Tribute songs just sort of happen. I don't usually set out to cover any specific song or band. I'd rather they seeped into our subconscious and stewed in our brains for a while until they come out sounding like a new song. I love to do new arrangements of other people's recordings. That's probably my favorite thing to do musically. We just finished mixing a Christmas single that has a fun version of a Peggy Lee song called "Don't Forget to Feed the Reindeer" and it's completely new. It sounds like it could have been a Come Ons original.

There is a long history of Detroit acts fronted by women. The majority came from the Motown days. Is that something that has ever crossed your mind, and how, if at all, do you honor such a history?

I love almost everything that comes out of Motown. The women of Motown were all wonderful singers, glamorous performers, definitely DIVAS!!! But they didn't front their own band or write songs so much as sing and put a personality on the songs. They had a lot of guts getting on a bus with a bunch of crazy musicians, touring and enduring heaps of obstacles. And that is respectable and deserving of a bow or two. That's not exactly where my head is at. I have to compensate for my diva-less-ness by writing better songs and playing an instrument. I don't know if I would ever be able to just rely on my singing and sparkling personality. I could maybe be a back-up for the Vandellas, but I can't touch Martha Reeves.

What are the top three things on your long term "to-do-list." Have you set a time table for achieving these goals?

I have a loose to-do list as long as I am working toward something. It's okay if I get derailed now and again. If you try too hard setting an agenda for your life, you'll end up disappointed.

When will the new material see the light of day?

The new record should be out in a few months. We have a Francoise Hardy single to be released on Larsen soon. I also mentioned early on about the German single and a 45 (RPM) of holiday favorites that should be out in a month or so.

www.thecomeons.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home