Friday, October 22, 2004

Joss Stone - My Daughter's Review

My daughter and I listened to "Mind, Body & Soul," the new CD from Joss Stone. While I can give my reaction later, let me tell you what she thought.

First, she's 11-years-old, but has good taste in music. She's tends to listen to lots "mouse" music, but she always has an opinion about things I play. As for Joss Stone, she didn't immediately take to it. Songs such as "Right To Be Wrong," "Jet Lag," and "You Had Me" elicited the comment that this would never end of the "mouse" radio station because it either "wasn't fast enough or had a good beat to dance to." In my mind, this was not turning into a good experience, and I was surprised.

As we listened more, she began to warm up to her voice, in particular. "She sounds a lot like Kelly Clarkson," she uttered. I wondered how long it be before the names Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff made their way into the review.

After dinner, I continued to subject her to this CD feeling certain that her opinion would definitely get better. I was right. "Sleep Like A Child," "Torn and Tattered," and "Understand" finally brought out what I believe was coming from the beginning. "I really like the way she sings," she proclaimed. "Who wrote her lyrics? Did you say she was only 16? She's very smart."

When I asked her to give me a rating on a scale of 1 to 10, my little child, with no hesitation, bestowed an "8" on Joss Stone's "Mind, Body & Soul."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home